Monday, April 20, 2009

The Spin Zone

Unlike the O'Reilly factor, blog's seem to be full of spin. I'm sure mine is no different. I suppose that's what blogs are for. That and fulfilling contract obligations. So my spin on this weekend goes as follows. I went into the weekend with no real goal other than staying on. My first ever Cat3 race was the Masters 1,2,3 and featured Andy Crater and Jeff Melcher, and I finished well behind both. I tried to bridge once, which happened to be the first time I ever went clean in a road race, and failed. Oh, well. Back to being pack fill. Managed to stay on and finished the race not last. Immediately lined up for the 3's race. The pace was a little slower, more sitting in and trying to help Sam, same result as the first race. A good day, I guess. Although after almost 2 hours of going around in circles did become a little, shall we say, less than exhilerating. Anyway, day 1 was over, no crashes and I stayed on. Pretty ok.
Day 2 started out dry and with about 5 laps to go in the 1,2,3 race it started raining pretty good. Pretty uneventful but I did start to see things happen in the race. Seeing and doing proved to be completely different and the end result was the same as day 1. The 3's race started in the rain and stayed that way. Pacholski attacked at Go and no one responded. I tried to tell the pack he did this all year in 'cross and he could stay off but they didn't seem to care or just didn't believe me. So, no one worked to pull 'em back and no one elses attacks worked and it was pretty lame. You should have seen everybody respond when 'ski came around us with 3 to go. It got faster until the end. For me, same end result. Nice win for 'ski.
All in all, a good weekend of training. Plenty of intensity, all my skin and some minor increase in knowledge of how to race on the road.
In other news, Meat stayed on in both his races and Bryan did his first races as well. I think he stayed on for the whole second race, very nice. Lisa also did the women's open race on Saturday and did pretty well. Kylie was in her cheerleader outfit and yelling "GO DAD GO!!!" every lap of all 4 races while jumping up and down. I'm pretty sure I was the only one that thought that was super cool all weekend.
Now, time for a rest week.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job surviving 4 Criterium races in 2 days. That had to build character; not that you're lacking :-) In contrast, I really do enjoy the small groups working together in Mtb races, and the individual effort of a TT. Ah, but variety is the spice of life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Variety is tongue in the ear hot!

    ReplyDelete