Monday, October 5, 2009

Catch up

I missed a week and an event so we'll start with last weekend's USGP. Woke up at 2 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Lisa was up sick all night so she couldn't race. So I started working on house projects and showed up too late for the lady to let me race even though I had already preregistered and payed to race. Hmmm. I was already grumpy and that didn't help. I was going to stay and watch the "good guys" race but my mood was too foul to let me enjoy being there. Shallow, I know. Plus Kylie had a birthday party to get to and she was anxious to get there.
Sunday started out much better. I actually slept. Lisa felt better and raced to a 3rd place finish in the Women's 3's race. Not bad for the way she felt the day before. I got my customary back row (well, 3rd to last) row start. Moved my way up and ended up 11th on the day in the Masters 35+ race. I was pretty happy with that! So the mood was better that day for sure. We stayed and watched the "good guys" and had a darn good day.
Fast forward to this weekend. Drove way up in the Northwoods to White Lake to pre ride the new venue. All the chatter was how horrible the race was going to be. Well, they were wrong. You just can't trust them, whoever "they" are. The course was sweet! Lots of nice singletrack and just enough double track to allow good passing oppurtunities without it becoming a road race. The opening climb was brutal. My start was actually not too horrible and the race went well. Lots of fun riding with Jeff M. and holding off Ray. Almost no cramping, lots of smiles. The way it should be, really. Lisa rocked a 2nd place finish in the women's race, her best finish ever. Very nice. So now she's better than me again as the best I ever managed was a 3rd. Oh well, at least I'm still taller than her.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of fun. Even the "not so good" weather didn't keep this one from being a great time. Of course, spraying each other with muddy water while travelling at high rates of speed is just an adult way of playing, and having fun. Now those winers with their sand issues... Let's just steer clear of them; they're the worst.

    ReplyDelete