Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Double flat?

Wausau is my kind of course. Long stretches of gravel double track and fast flowy singletrack. In the past I've done pretty ok here when I can keep my tires inflated. Last year at this race I was well into the top 10 and I flatted. For 24/9 we were in first place by a lot when I flatted. 2 years ago I was doing pretty well and I flatted. So this year I did my best to prevent that from happening and put 38 psi in front and back to give myself a fighting chance at not flatting and it worked. No flat tires, just flat legs. Very disappointing. Oh well, at least I had a kit to wear. We got to the race and I was out socializing when I happened across Lisa and she says " you better work on finding something to wear." Huh? This comes as no surprise to those who know me, but we left our duffel bag at home with all our stuff in it. I did have shoes and a helmet so I coulda' rocked the jeans and t-shirt like I used to. However, after a bunch of pleading and soft caressing, Melcher finally let me get into his shorts and I flew the Pedal Moraine colors. It was tongue in the ear hot for sure. The race itself was pretty fun, mud like peanut butter, sweet singletrack, just not the result I had hoped for. At least I made it through the race with all the air in my tires. I'll use that to build on for next year. Baby steps.
Thanks again to Melcher for the kit. I wasn't looking forward to wearing jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment